Lyndhurst

On May 8, 1992, Lyndhurst celebrated seventy-five years as the Township of Lyndhurst. It was in 1917 that the residents voted 747 to 178 to make Lyndhurst the official name of the township. In 1852, the area including, East Rutherford, Rutherford, Lyndhurst and North Arlington was known as Union Township. Each town broke away leaving 4.7 square miles left for the town known now as Lyndhurst.

The first immigrants to come to Lyndhurst were the Dutch. Some famous family names were Van Winkle, Yearance and Joralemon. Then the English came with the Kinglands and the Rutherfords. These families had built large estates with farms and wooded areas.

The Polish people came for work in Lyndhurst around 1874 when the Railroads came through.

Italians came to Lyndhurst from New York to enjoy a "day in the country". They bought lots of land and grew fruits and vegetables. They later settled there.

In the early 1900's, the farmland decreased and the manufacturing industry increased. This was the beginning of the industrial revolution.

Many Irish and German families joined the Polish families and moved to Lyndhurst looking for work in the many factories that sprang up. By this time there was the McKee-Harrington Company which made bicycles, baby carriages and hobby horses, the Leslie Company that made valves and industrial whistles and the Pearl Button Company.

The Hackensack Meadowlands Development Corporation turned the meadows into a large corporate business center including an environmental center and a trash museum.

Recently, many Asian and Middle Eastern immigrants settled in Lyndhurst, setting up businesses and bringing their culture here.

Some historical sites in Lyndhurst are the 1893 River Road School, which has been restored recently, The Van Winkle House established in 1797 is now the Masonic Club and the Jeremiah Yearance House built during the end of the 18th century.

Lyndhurst has a Mayor and a Board of Commissioners.

 

   

Back

Main Map